The Madrona Commons an initiative of Madrona Grace, in which we are making our building available for local groups and organizations consistent with our mission of building a healthy and transformative community. Below are some things that we hope will someday happen at the Commons during the week:
Concerts – Public forums – Tutoring – Mother’s groups – Art projects – Knitting circles – A time bank – Birthday parties – Film screenings – Justice groups – Recovery groups – Theology events – Community meals – Art installations – Poetry slams – Toddler story time – Yoga – Canning classes – Lectures
Room Rental Descriptions and Rates:
When you reserve all or a part of the Commons, we ask that you make a contribution for the maintenance and operation of the building as well as the staff needed to coordinate your event. Donations range between $0 and $100 per hour or up to $500 per day. The following may be helpful in determining your level of contribution.
- Our actual cost for utilities as well as custodial and event coordination is $30 per hour.
- For use of the whole Commons (main hall, kitchen, small rooms), we recommend a donation of $65 per hour for non-profits and $85 per hour for all others, in addition to a contribution for the kitchen at the rates detailed below.
- These gifts will help ensure that this space continues to be available to the community. All contributions are tax-deductible, and any excess funds received will be used to support Julia’s Place, the family shelter which resides in the basement of the building.
The Common Hall is a large room of about 1500 square feet. The kitchen, nursery, and conference room open on to this space, and upstairs rooms are visible around a balcony above. The hall can comfortably seat about 65 people around tables, or up to 100 people seated in rows. The hall can also be used as overflow seating for the sanctuary. If seating is not needed, the space can accommodate up to 150 people. Spaces comparable to our main hall or sanctuary are typically rented for $50 per hour to non-profits and $65 per hour for all others.
The Sanctuary has theater-style seating for up to 150 people. A divider can be opened onto the Common Hall for over-flow seating or additional performance space. There is also a “baby cry room” upstairs with a window into the sanctuary, and a foyer entrance.
The Kitchen, which opens on to the Common Hall, has two sinks, an industrial dish washer, a pizza oven, a microwave, an industrial refrigerator and freezer, and two large stoves with a total of 12 burners. It is not yet set up to function legally as a commercial kitchen as it lacks a three-chambered sink. Kitchens such as ours are rented for $25 per hour to non-profits and $35 per hour to all others, with a daily maximum of $100. The kitchen rental fee is in addition to the main hall. The two are often reserved together.
Small Rooms: Spaces similar to one of our small rooms (250 square feet) are commonly rented for $20 per hour to non-profits and $25 per hour for all others.
- The Conference room can be used in conjunction with the hall, or can stand alone as a small meeting room. It is appropriate for meetings of 6-15 people, with seating for 8 at a large table.
- The Nursery, which is available in conjunction with the Common Hall can accommodate up to 10 children at a time. It has its own sink and changing table.
- The Upper Room, accessible via the balcony overlooking the common hall is set up primarily for children but can also be used for meetings of adults. It has views of the city and can accommodate groups of up to 20 people.
How to reserve space at the Commons:
- View online calendar to look for any potential scheduling conflicts.
- Download and read Madrona Commons Building Use Policies and Madrona Commons Use Agreement(pdf) or Madrona Commons Use Agreement(doc)
- Email signed paperwork to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Either send a check or use our online payment system to pay the damage deposit and donation.
- A staff member will email you with building access information once your deposit is received.
Are you in need of office space? We currently have a small office (180 ft/sq) available for rent to a non-profit, artist, or religious community that would want to use the rest of the Commons for events. Here is the craigslist ad: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/off/6131647898.html